Friday 17 October 2014

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning...



In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. - Genesis 1:1

This is where it all begins. God creates with a definite purpose in mind. The why to this question we will get into at a later stage as it gets revealed elsewhere in scripture. For now though, I want to concentrate on those first 3 words. In the beginning... this reminds me of some other verses as well:-

…I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End…” – Revelation 21:6

…I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.” – Revelation 22:13

It is also noteworthy that the Gospel of John opens with the same words as Genesis does but John then goes on to say the following, “(In the beginning)was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.”

Some people read Genesis 1:1 and they start debating when the beginning was or if God was really behind things at all. But when I read it, I see “In Jesus, God created the heavens and the earth”. I think that is what John was saying as well in his gospel, it’s all about him. He is at the center of everything in the bible, Christ testified of this himself in John 5:39 when he said "these (the scriptures) are they which testify of me".

It is my mission to seek him out from cover to cover over here in the coming years. To see what the bible reveals to us about him, our Lord, King and Savior. I hope others will get involved too in the comments so that the manifold wisdom of God may be made known by and through the church of which I am just a small part of. 

What do you see in when you read Genesis 1:1? Was this helpful at all or am I off the mark?  

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment